Friday, January 29, 2021

Marcus Hill 2019 Pinot Gris


I knew so little about Marcus Hill that I wasn't sure if he was a person or a place. Now, having worked my way through a pinot noir, a pinot meunier and a riesling I can recommend the Marcus Hill Vineyard on the cool Bellarine Peninsula as a label to watch out for. The vineyard is a short drive from Geelong towards the coastal townships of Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale and was planted in 1999. Richard and Margot Harrison handcraft wines with minimal intervention - and all that I have tried so far have impressed. This is barrel fermented, dry with sweet pear and Fuji apple flavours, hints of caramel and a long, impressively dry finish. Very drinkable. Pair with salt and pepper calamari. $25. www.marcushillvineyard.com.au/

No comments: