Thursday, November 16, 2023

Crittenden 2021 Kangerong Chardonnay

 

Rollo Crittenden is making some very fine wines on the Mornington Peninsula. I had decided to review his complex and intense 2021 The Zumma Chardonnay ($65) - a very impressive drop - but a few days later I tried the 2021 Kangerong Chardonnay and was even more impressed. First, let me warn you: this is a wine with a serious evaporation problem. I was certain I had only had a couple of sips, but the bottle was two-thirds empty. The fruit comes from the family farm and this is just a little bit more accessible than The Zumma - and a tad more affordable. There are citrus and white stone fruit characters on both the nose and palate with some appealing minerality and bright acid. Lovely stuff - and it would be great with a Christmas turkey. $55. https://www.crittendenwines.com.au/

No comments: