Saturday, September 17, 2016

Samuel's Gorge 2015 Graciano





I'd been hearing great things about the wines being made by Justin McNamara at Samuel's Gorge in McLaren Vale and lo and behold a box of samples arrived on my doorstep completely unsolicited - and without tasting notes. All four wines were excellent (I now understand why there is such a buzz about Samuel's ) but for me, this juicy, savoury graciano just edged out more familiar varieties in shiraz, cabernet sauvignon and shiraz. I love the mosaic label, which, just like the wine shows a lot of attention to detail. Graciano is a Spanish red wine grape that is grown primarily in Rioja and it thrives in warm climates. I loved the combination of sweet fruit and earthiness that this wine displays. $40. www.gorge.com.au.    

No comments: